Cytori´s Platform applications
  • Page:

TOPIC: Cytori´s contribution to IFATS 2014

Cytori´s contribution to IFATS 2014 19 Nov 2014 11:39 #2728

• fas
  • fas's Avatar Topic Author
  • May the fat be with you
  • Thank you received: 1116
Not very much, but at least something.. Zeni Alfonso (pic below) -Senior Scientist at Cytori presented this paper which obviously related to one of the deliverables of the first stage of the BARDA contract..

Zeni has been around at Cytori- she has in common with John Fraser that she left the Company (at one of the many belt tightening exercises?) but was hired again. That happens ONLY with good folks... :winky:

CHARACTERIZATION OF ADIPOSE DERIVED CELLS FROM HUMAN ESCHAR TISSUE Presenter: Zeni Alfonso, PhD Authors: Alfonso Z, Foubert P, Zhao S, Hicok K, Arm D, Tenenhaus M, Fraser J Cytori Therapeutics
This study was executed within the wider context of evaluating autologous cell therapy for thermal burn injury using the patient’s adipose tissue as a source of therapeutic cells. Although there are several options for obtaining adipose tissue from a thermal burn patient, the adipose tissue that is excised along with the eschar as part of standard surgical treatment represents the worst-case scenario as a source of therapeutic cells. The purpose of this study was to determine if adipose- derived regenerative cells (ADRCs) obtained from eschar tissue of patients with full thickness thermal burn injury are substantially similar to those from adipose tissue from healthy subjects.
Tissue was obtained following informed consent from 6 burn patients that underwent escharectomy. The eschar specimens ranged approximately from 114 to 1050cm2. Mean age was 59.3 years (4/6 patients were >60 years), 3/6 were men. Escharectomy occurred from 1 to 7 days post-injury. Mean+SD viable cell yield from eschar tissue (2.7+y x106 cells per gram of tissue) was within range of tissue from non-burned individuals Cell viability was 90 + 4%. All the major cell subpopulations routinely found in ADRCs derived from healthy donor adipose were also present in cells from eschar adipose tissue. Leukocytes, endothelial, stromal and smooth-muscle-related cells were found at average frequencies of 35.5±11.6%, 14.8±45.0%, 33.4±12.5% and 6.3±3.4% respectively - all within the range and variation of their healthy counterparts. Approximately 18% of ADRCS were also shown to express the CD271 antigen as well.
The functional competence of cells derived from eschar was demonstrated by in vitro proliferation and differentiation capacity towards adipogenic (formation of lipid-containing cells) and angiogenic (evidenced by in vitro tube formation capacity) lineages. CFU-F cell populations, known to contain adipose derived stem cells, were also detected in all eschar samples evaluated (average frequency of 1.0±1.4%).
These data support the conclusion that functional ADRCs can be obtained from adipose tissue proximal to deep thermal burn injuries (i.e. eschar) and offers an alternative harvest approach in the development of a treatment strategy for burn injury using ADRCs.

There were certainly some very relevant presentations at IFATS - I will cover them one by one in the following weeks.. :bye:
The following user(s) said Thank You: d9dozrman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Board moderator and Site-owner. I still regret the day I started analysing the prospects of MacroPore (now Cytori) back in 2004- a left-over from the tech-bubble at that time from the century change in my portfolio- and became addicted to Cytori´s fat cell technology. :cry:

Cytori´s contribution to IFATS 2014 19 Nov 2014 12:25 #2729

• franshei
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 103
Great find. CYTX should post this at the company website.

Cytori´s contribution to IFATS 2014 19 Nov 2014 14:14 #2730

• mr5874
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 19
Fas et al,

I was reading the IFATS summary last night and came across this section. I need a deeper understanding of the techniques obviously, but wondered if the CTX-2 device will dramatically reverse this conclusion?

FREE ADIPOCYTE ISOLATION TECHNIQUES AND
HARVEST (FAITH) STUDY: PROSPECTIVE DIRECT
COMPARISON OF COLEMAN VS. CYTORI FAT GRAFT
HARVESTING TECHNIQUES

Presenter: Edward I. Chang, MD
Authors: Chang EI, Scaglioni MF, Zhang LQ,
Iyyanki TS, Butler CE, Beahm EK
MD Anderson Cancer Center

Introduction: Fat grafting is becoming a common adjunct in
reconstructive surgery for volume replacement. Consequently,
a number of techniques have emerged claiming increased
adipocyte counts and stem cell yield; however, the current
literature is often biased by conflict of interest and the validity
of these claims remain unknown.

Methods: Ten prospective patients undergoing fat grafting
underwent harvest using the Coleman and Cytori techniques
following institutional review board approval. Each patient
served as their own control for each technique. Samples (n=3
per patient) were analyzed for total adipocyte count.
Results: Ten patients (male: 1 and female: 9) with an average
age of 53.2 years and mean body mass index of 30.2 kg/m2
were included in the study. Comorbidities included smoking
(n=5), hypertension (n=3), diabetes (n=1), prior chemotherapy
(n=1), prior radiation (n=1), and both chemotherapy and
radiation therapy (n=2). None of the patient demographics
or comordities had a significant impact on overall adipocyte
counts. All female patients were undergoing fat grafting for
refining results following breast reconstruction. The single
male patient underwent fat grafting to augment lip volume
following head and neck reconstruction. Two patients were
taking statins at the time of fat graft harvest. Average adipocyte
count from Coleman samples was nearly two-fold higher than
Cytori samples (3.0 x 10^6 vs. 1.6 x 10^6. Overall, there was a
trend toward higher cell counts with the Coleman technique,
but the difference did not reach statistical significance
(p=0.068). Cost analysis demonstrated an increase in $525/
case with the use of the Cytori system.

Conclusions: The use of the Cytori system did not increase
viable adipocyte yield compared to the Coleman technique, but
was associated with an increase in cost. Further analysis on
stem cell viability and larger studies are needed to justify the
use of the Cytori system over the Coleman technique in an era
of increasing healthcare costs and dwindling reimbursement.

Cytori´s contribution to IFATS 2014 19 Nov 2014 14:26 #2732

• myownhedgefund
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 204
Thanks Fas.....so we have 86-94% cell viability in these patients.
Knowing BARDA approved further study we knew there was a positive harvest outcome but now we have some hard numbers.
Otherwise a bit of a yawner.

When studies start at some major burn centers and we can get a feel on how they plan to use the tech we may get some sort of a positive reaction. I think right now it will be limited to hard to heel areas....certainly at first vs a overall approach to treating a large burn. Also perhaps focused areas such as hands where scar tissue can limit movement.
Longer term it would be nice to see banking of these cells so that they could be applied to more areas over time and a patient could get a greater benefit as unfortunately severe burn patients must endure many many surgeries.

Cytori´s contribution to IFATS 2014 19 Nov 2014 14:45 #2733

• fas
mr5874-

You do not make fat grafts with Celution, but with the Puregraft system. Grafts are purified fat- which is totally different of SVF- the cells from Celution.
Puregraft is more expensive than the Coleman technique which is from 1997. I will get back to this- but it is not that relevant at present. I did come across a German paper recently which I will share and will explain this a bit more.

hedge-

First we need an IDE from the FDA....

Board moderator and Site-owner. I still regret the day I started analysing the prospects of MacroPore (now Cytori) back in 2004- a left-over from the tech-bubble at that time from the century change in my portfolio- and became addicted to Cytori´s fat cell technology. :cry:

Cytori´s contribution to IFATS 2014 19 Nov 2014 21:46 #2737

• franshei
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 103
I think DOV has discussed the cost issues before, particularly in the plastic surgeon arena. I think the low cost (new) CTX will solve some of these problems.

In the mean time, coffee can be brewed at home with little cost. Yet people keep on going to Starbuck for coffee and pay 10 times more.

The cost issue is not always a major problem for a new technology such as celution. Celution is delivering a practical way for cell therapies. It is always tedious to draw stem cells from the pelvic bone and grow more cells in the lab and then do the transplant several days later, such as in the case of ASTM's approach for cardiac application.

I believe CYTX approach for chronic MI (cardiac application) is different from what many other companies (such as NBS) are trying. CYTX's approach may actually work well and Okyanos' accumulative data will show the truth. Dr. Perrin's clinical experiences are witness to this fact: patients have better quality of life. Yet, the cost of US clinical trials living up to the FDA requirements is very, very high, while most big pharmas are not providing funding to companies like CYTX. While NBS and others are drowned in big expense for doing cardiac trials with the hope of a big pharma's bailout (which may not happen), I think CYTX saw the writing on the wall and has switched the corporate clinical r/d strategy just like GERN had done over a year ago. I think CYTX is smart.

Cytori´s contribution to IFATS 2014 19 Nov 2014 23:12 #2738

• myownhedgefund
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Fas...certainly agree IDE is a first step. With BARDA I see that as a simple formality.

Have you heard anything of a credible nature (non-Cytori) on what types of burn situations this will be applied ?

As I know you are aware, I have had quite a evolution in thinking as to the market size of each application in which Cytori's tech will be applied.

Cytori´s contribution to IFATS 2014 20 Nov 2014 10:06 #2741

• fas

I have had quite a evolution in thinking as to the market size of each application in which Cytori's tech will be applied.

:grin: :grin: Yeah Hedge- we all have taken note- nitch or something- or better niche player. We got that. :yep:

Cytori´s contribution to IFATS 2014 20 Nov 2014 13:54 #2744

• myownhedgefund
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
hehe...always nice to be noticed. :joy:

So I guess that's currently a NO on independent views on applying the tech to burns .

Cytori´s contribution to IFATS 2014 20 Nov 2014 15:33 #2745

• fas

So I guess that's currently a NO on independent views on applying the tech to burns

yeah-sorry forgot your question. I cannot enlighten you... maybe other readers can. :yep:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.087 seconds

Copyright Information

Copyright Fas Kuiters © 2016 young-foxes.com. All Rights Reserved.
This page is made with Joomla CMS and its various templates designed by Fas Kuiters with the excellent Themler tool.

Shared Spreadsheet Links

DOV´s Revised Projections for the Periods 2017 until 2020

Shareble link : HERE

Fas Kuiters Websites