• Page:

TOPIC: Wake Forest University

Wake Forest University 16 Sep 2015 13:56 #5220

• mtpinman
  • mtpinman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
WFU gets 6 mittion to study exercise and OA. Tons of money out there and CYTX cannot seem to find any?

www.news-medical.net/news/20150914/WFU-awarded-246-million-federal-grant-to-further-study-knee-osteoarthritis.aspx

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Wake Forest University 17 Sep 2015 06:34 #5221

• fas
  • May the fat be with you
  • Thank you received: 1116

WFU gets 6 mittion to study exercise and OA. Tons of money out there and CYTX cannot seem to find any?

MtPinman- if Cytori produces results, than they surely will find the money. Hopefully they will not be as greedy as Calhoun was. he found the money also, but overextended hid "luck" since he was clueless about the "value of money".

This researcher ALSO produced results already, as the article indicates. I find these community programs great- losing weight is great and when people meet they talk. Hopefully they also will be talking of Cytori OA cell treatment sometim next year... :whistle:

In 2013, the team published results in the Journal of American Medical Association (JAMA) from the IDEA randomized clinical trial showing that a combination of exercise and at least a 10 percent weight loss reduced chronic knee pain by more than 50 percent in overweight and obese adult patients with knee osteoarthritis. That's better than the average pharmacologic intervention of 30 percent reduction in pain in half of those treated, Messier said.

"Many physicians who treat people with knee OA have no practical means to implement weight loss and exercise treatments," he said. "We haven't provided doctors with the vehicle to help their patients be successful. This study is significant in that it will test the effectiveness of a long-awaited and much needed community-based program that will serve as a blueprint for clinicians and public health officials in both urban and rural communities."

Messier said it's not enough to just understand the clinical aspects of what decreases knee pain. He hopes they can develop a 'turn key' operation that can be implemented in locations such as church fellowship halls, recreation centers, workout gyms, and other community facilities where doctors can send their patients.

The idea that a community-based program like this could have a trifecta approach - weight loss and exercise are good for other co-morbidities like type 2 diabetes and hypertension - was one of the strengths of the grant application, as well as the plan to establish its cost effectiveness. If they can prove that it works and is also cost effective, then the model will be more attractive to insurance companies, he said.

For WE-CAN, Messier wants to see the same positive outcomes as the IDEA trial, but the main question will be whether participants can achieve those same results with less one-on-one interaction with interventionists. He's hopeful they will be able to demonstrate that community-based intervention programs can make a difference in people's lives and health.

"I've been doing this research for more than 25 years," he said. "If we can't do this and make this successful, I question what those 25 years were about."

The following user(s) said Thank You: mtpinman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Board moderator and Site-owner. I still regret the day I started analysing the prospects of MacroPore (now Cytori) back in 2004- a left-over from the tech-bubble at that time from the century change in my portfolio- and became addicted to Cytori´s fat cell technology. :cry:
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.069 seconds

Copyright Information

Copyright Fas Kuiters © 2016 young-foxes.com. All Rights Reserved.
This page is made with Joomla CMS and its various templates designed by Fas Kuiters with the excellent Themler tool.

Shared Spreadsheet Links

DOV´s Revised Projections for the Periods 2017 until 2020

Shareble link : HERE

Fas Kuiters Websites